Coordinating with the Pastor and the Music Directors, this person is responsible for selecting and planning the music for Chancel Choir and Men In Black, leading rehearsals, and providing anthems on a bi-weekly basis. The ideal candidate should be organized, able to bring out the best in the volunteers who love to sing, and develop an understanding of connecting the music to the planned church calendar and themes. View the FULL JOB DESCRIPTION ONLINE AT www.hmbcumc.org/jobs
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Select and rehearse repertoire for the choirs (Chancel Choir and Men in Black)
- Conduct Chancel Choir and Men In Black in rehearsals (Thursday evenings 7:30-9:30pm, September through June) and services, presenting anthems regularly during worship (alternating groups as seems fit, two services a month).
- Occasionally, lead congregational hymns.
- Maintain library of choral music.
- Work in conjunction with the Music Directors and the accompanist to schedule music for services in a timely manner.
- Obtain and appropriately report necessary copyright permissions for music performed.
Job Qualifications Desired:
- BA (or higher) in Music or equivalent experience
- Ability to effectively conduct a choir and occasional instrumental groups
- Knowledge of sacred choral repertory and performance styles
- Be able to teach volunteers in a positive atmosphere
- Occasionally send singers recorded parts to aid in their learning
- Planning skills, including working with spreadsheets