Working on the Coastside

Common Business Answers

Here is a list of our most commonly asked questions and answers. For more information, please contact us at [email protected] or call (650) 726-8380. We’re here to help!

Sales Tax

  • City of Half Moon Bay
    • 9.375%As of January 1, 2023
  • Unincorporated Coastside (Everywhere Else)
    • 9.375% – As of January 1, 2023

Minimum Wage

  • City of Half Moon Bay
    • $17.01/Hour – Beginning January 1, 2024
    • $16.45/Hour – January 1, 2023 to December 31, 2023
  • Unincorporated Coastside (Everywhere Else)
    • $17.06/Hour – Beginning January 1, 2024
    • $16.50/Hour – April 1, 2023 thru December 31, 2023

Both the City & County use CPI to calculate the next year’s minimum wage.
Current Wage + CPI = Next Wage

Obtaining a Business License

  • City of Half Moon Bay
    All businesses operating in HMB must have a license. This includes home-based businesses like Airbnb rentals. The City uses a company named HdL to handle the business license process. Click here to apply for or renew a City business license.
  • Unincorporated Coastside (Everywhere Else)
    It depends on the business type. The County of San Mateo only requires a business license for a few business categories. Currently, the (3) common categories requiring a license are; Peddler/Solicitor, Bingo Operator, or Temporary Event operator. To ensure a Business License is required prior to purchasing an application, you may contact the Office of Planning and Building at (650) 363-4161. Click here to apply for a County business license.